Springe direkt zu Inhalt

Step-by-step to study abroad

Information about a study stay in a Romance Language country

Basically, you should study your two subjects abroad, possibly also LBW.

Please be sure to contact the module representative about all modules scheduled for the semester abroad in advance, having the course catalog of the intended university in hands to enable module representatives to advise you on the best courses to take for later recognition and the course work to be completed there.

After the module coordinators have advised you, fill out the Learning Agreement (only in German), which you will have signed by the ERASMUS representative of the institute responsible for the exchange program (in the Institute of Romance Philology this is currently Prof. Caspari). If necessary, have the ERASMUS representative of the institute of your other subject sign the Learning Agreement as well.

Please keep the original of your Learning Agreement and send one copy to the university abroad and one copy to the central ERASMUS office (Brümmerstr. 52).

If there are any changes during your study abroad, please contact the respective module representative by e-mail and, if necessary, send a modified Learning Agreement (form: Changes to original study program abroad) by fax to the ERASMUS representative of the institute (currently: 838 55854).

To apply for a study place within the framework of the ERASMUS program or another funded program, you can find information on the institute's homepage. But the possibility of studying abroad is not limited to ERASMUS and you can also organize your own study stay independently of these programs

The Institute recommends that all students study abroad or spend an extended period of time abroad.

You should plan for the 3rd or 5th semester of study abroad.

  • In the 3rd semester, you have the advantage that your language acquisition is intensively supported at an early stage and that our partner universities usually offer the study contents provided for by our BA study regulations.
  • The disadvantage is that you have to take care of your stay abroad already towards the end of the 1st semester (the application deadlines for ERASMUS are usually in January / February).
  • In the 5th semester you have the advantage that you are already better acquainted with your studies and can possibly find out more specifically which courses are necessary for you. In addition, you may be able to follow up your study stay with the internship required by the ABV (in this case, as long as you remain enrolled, the ERASMUS grant may continue to be paid).

When choosing your courses at the partner university, please make sure that you usually write your BA thesis in the 6th semester, which should ideally come from a course of the advanced modules.

Many ERASMUS programs offer the possibility to apply for one or two semesters. A longer stay abroad offers you the opportunity to immerse yourself intensively in the language and culture of the target language country. However, it might be difficult to complete all the required coursework in both of your subjects (and for students with a teaching option: in LBW). In addition, at many universities the teaching program already ends in early summer. A one-semester stay is usually easier to fit into the study schedule at the Freie Universität.

Information on Sprachreisen is provided by the Aktion Bildungsinformation (ABI) e. V.

Information on the recognition of your study achievements abroad can be found here (only in German).