Study abroad at University of Tokyo
FSGS has, together with the Graduate School of East Asian Studies (GEAS), an exchange agreement with the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences / The College of Arts and Sciences and the Graduate School of Humanities and Sociology / Faculty of Letters at University of Tokyo. Each year 5 positions are available.
Due to living and rental costs, the stay in Tokyo is relatively expensive. Information about scholarships for students with knowledge of Japanese [German] as well as for students regardless of their knowledge of Japanese (EPINEL program) can be found on the direct exchange website of Freie Universität Berlin. Should you receive one of these scholarships, please inform the office at FSGS.Would you like to spend one or two semesters abroad at University of Tokyo? Then:
- inform our office about the duration of your planned visit.
- put together an application (English) that contains the following: letter of motivation, outline of the dissertation project, CV. Send your application via email (PDF) to our office.
- ask your supervisor team for a short vote regarding your visit abroad via email to our office.
- check the VISA requirements for Japan. Make sure you have a valid passport for your planned visit. Send a copy of the first two pages of your passport via email (PDF) to our office. You will receive an invitational letter from University of Tokyo through our office that you will need in order to apply for the visa.
- inquire with your health insurance whether you will be insured during your stay in Japan.
- find out about accommodation options near University of Tokyo.