Springe direkt zu Inhalt

Outgoing: Studying Abroad

Planning to Study Abroad: When and Where?

  • When? Studying abroad is recommended during the 4th or 5th semester for bachelor’s degree (BA) students. You should start planning about a year in advance. For master’s degree (MA) students, studying abroad is usually recommended in the 3rd semester. Please contact the program coordinator for your respective degree program for more information.Students may receive funding through Erasmus+ depending on their student status (BA/MA/Phd) for a maximum of 12 months total. The exchange period should be at least three months.
  • Where? All international exchange opportunities as well as testimonials can be found in the Partnership Database provided by the International Office. This would be a good place to start your research.


  • !! You may only apply for a place in German Language and Literature programs if you are enrolled in a bachelor’s or master’s degree program at the Institute. !! 
  •  Exchange agreements in the master’s degree program only apply to certain master’s degree programs, and not automatically to all of them. Please find out which master’s degree programs are eligible for the exchange program!
  • Information about prerequisites, application documents, submitting documents, and deadlines is also available on the International Office’s website.
  • If you want to study abroad with ERASMUS+ and know the university to which you want to apply, then please contact one of the project coordinators at our Institute. They can provide you with more information about special program and application requirements for specific universities.
  • Application deadline: January 31. This deadline applies to both the upcoming winter semester as well as to the full academic year. If there are still places available, you can apply for the summer semester until May 15.
  • You must first apply online and then submit your application documents in hard copy to the office of the respective program coordinator.

Application Documents

  • Online application in hard copy
  • Current certificate of enrollment
  • List of all previously attended courses including confirmation of participation and assessment as well as grades (printout from Campus Management)
  • Curriculum vitae in tabular form
  • Letter of motivation (Please contact the coordinator to find out if an English version is required.)
  • Language certificate (depending on the requirements of the host university)
  • In general, you do not have to submit a letter of recommendation. However, please check with your coordinator.

Nomination, University Application, and Learning Agreement

  • Selection usually takes place by the end of February. If you accept the place offered, you will then be nominated by the host university and will receive further information from them. Some partner universities require nominated candidates to submit another application as well as additional documents.
  • Please contact the departmental adviser to complete the Learning Agreement. The departmental adviser can clarify which courses taken at the host university are eligible to receive credits.
  • You should take courses providing at least 15 ECTS credits per semester at the host university.
  • The Learning Agreement must be signed by the departmental adviser, the program coordinator, and the contact person at the host university.

 Transferring Credits for Coursework Abroad

  • The departmental adviser is also responsible for transferring credits. A detailed description of this procedure can be found on the departmental advising website.
  • Please find out which documents you should submit in addition to the Transcript of Records before studying abroad (e.g. course descriptions, seminar syllabi, etc.).