Information on Degree Programs at the Institute of Philosophy at Freie Universität Berlin
The Institute of Philosophy offers two programs in philosophy as well as opportunities for doctoral candidates in philosophy:
- Bachelor’s degree program in philosophy (B.A.)
(with philosophy as a 60/30-credit offering in combination bachelor’s degree programs)
- Master’s degree program in philosophy (M.A.)
- Doctorate (Dr. phil.)
It is also possible for students to take courses in philosophy as part of other programs:
- Philosophy as a related module, elective, or minor subject
as part of programs toward the degree of Diplom and “mono” (single-subject) bachelor’s degree programs
- Philosophy at the FU with international mobility
A number of degree programs that are being phased out are still being served by the institute. New students are no longer being admitted to these programs, not even in higher semesters.
- “Older” bachelor’s degree programs in philosophy (A, B, C and D types, enrollment up to the 2015 summer semester)
- “Older” master’s degree programs in philosophy (A and B types, enrollment up to the 2013/14 winter semester)
- Program toward the degree of Magister in philosophy
Please see the Downloads section for all study and examination regulations for the programs, the academic advising team’s manuals, and other documents.The academic advising team at the Institute of Philosophy is responsible for these pages. We make every effort to make these pages as clear and helpful as possible. If you notice any discrepancies or items that are unclear, please send us an email to let us know.