Springe direkt zu Inhalt

Study abroad at University of Chicago

FSGS has an exchange agreement with the Department of Germanic Studies and the Department of Comparative Literature at University of Chicago.

Would you like to study abroad at University of Chicago next year? Then:
  • inform our office by April 30.
  • put together an application (German / English) that contains the following: letter of motivation, outline of the dissertation project, CV, certificate of enrollment. Send your application via email (PDF) to our office.
  • ask your supervisor for a short vote regarding your visit abroad via email to our office.
  • check the VISA requirements for the USA. Make sure you have a valid passport for your planned visit. Send a copy of the first two pages of your passport via email (PDF) to our office by September 30 at the latest. At the end of the year you’ll receive an invitational letter from University of Chicago through our office that you will need in order to apply for the visa.
  • inquire with your health insurance whether you will be insured during your stay in the USA. The department in Chicago will insure you free of charge, but the benefits aren’t comprehensive. You can find many tips about this in our internal experience report. 
  • find out about accommodation options near University of Chicago. For this, too, the collection of reports will have many helpful tips.

If you are interested in studying abroad at University of Chicago, please contact our office to receive our internal collection of reports from PhD students who did research in Chicago.

Department of Philosophy and Humanities
Dahlem Research School
Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft
logo einstein grau