Springe direkt zu Inhalt

Travel expenses, vacation & sick leave

On this page you will find all necessary information on holiday regulations, sick leave as well as on how to apply for, carry out and settle research trips. Depending on your status (Freie Universität Berlin employee, (DAAD) scholarship holder), please take a close look at the various notes and checklists before you fill in the relevant forms. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact the administrative office: Please bring the printed checklist with you to counselling interviews.

Application and reimbursement for travel expenses

You can find all forms, information and checklists here [German].

For further questions please do not hesitate to contact the FSGS office

Please be aware that business trips also involve climate-damaging emissions and check whether the intended trip is actually necessary. Air and car travel in particular should be avoided wherever possible due to the massive environmental impact. If a corresponding trip should prove to be unavoidable, we suggest that you voluntarily compensate for the resulting emissions by financially supporting climate protection projects (purchase of certificates). General information on offsetting, project types and common quality standards can be found on the corresponding website of the Federal Environment Agency [German], as well as more detailed information in the associated brochure [German]. Specific offers for voluntary offsetting can be found at www.moorfutures.de, www.atmosfair.de and www.klima-kollekte.de

Holiday regulations (Freie Universität Berlin employee)

Your holiday entitlement (30 days of work) starts on January 1st of each calendar year. You should hand in the forms for your holiday request, filled out by yourself and signed by your first supervisor or project head before you take leave. Further information (for internal use) can be found here (access via VPN or within the network of Freie Univesität Berlin).
You can find the current form here [German].

Sick leave (Freie Universität Berlin employee)

If you are unable to work due to health conditions, you must notify us as soon as possible, preferably via email. This must be done prior to the start of the core hours, meaning by 9 o’clock. EXC TC research fellows further have to inform their project heads.
Should your absence extend over three consecutive days, a doctor’s note must be submitted to the personnel office on the fourth day. It can initially be send via email but will have to be followed up by post. Please be aware that sick leave is counted in terms of calendar days instead of working days.  

Notification of recovery (Freie Universität Berlin employee)

When you are able to work again, you must —whether or not your sick leave ends anyway— also inform your place of employment immediately so that they can pass on the information to the personnel office. Please inform us immediately when you have recovered from illness, your payment may otherwise be switched from your normal salary to sickness allowance after six weeks have passed.

Department of Philosophy and Humanities
Dahlem Research School
Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft
logo einstein grau