Springe direkt zu Inhalt

Language certificates

To apply for the Graduate School knowledge at the level C1 GER for one of the two languages is necessary, the other at the level of B2 GER.

For German C1 GER following certificates are recognized:
  • TestDaF (TDN 4 in all four components of testing)
  • Goethe-Zertifikat C1 or C2 ("Großes Deutsches Sprachdiplom”) from the Goethe-Institute
  • DSH 2, ZOP
  • DSD II: degree from a German-speaking program at a German-speaking institution
  • TELC Deutsch C1 – Hochschule
  • University entrance diploma that is equivalent to the German counterpart
Recognized as proof of proficiency in German B2 GER are:
  • TestDaF (TDN 3 in all four components of testing)
  • Goethe-Zertifikat B2  
  • DSD I
  • TELC Deutsch B2 – Hochschule

Recognized certificate for English C1 GER are:
  • IELTS 6.5
  • Cambridge Examinations: First Certificate (FCE), Advanced (CAE), Proficiency (CPE)
  • TOEFL: Paper 585, Computer 240 or Online 95
  • TELC English C1 – University
  • Degree from an English-speaking program at an English-speaking institution
For English B2 GER:
  • IELTS 5.0
  • TOEFL Paper 500, Computer 170 or Online 80
  • Cambridge Examinations: First Certificate (FCE), Advanced (CAE), Proficiency (CPE)
  • TELC English B2 – University
  • 7 years of English in German schools
The application deadline ends on 14 November 2021 at 23:59 CET. Please note the requirements for the field in which you wish to do your doctoral studies, which is generally the one to which your first supervisor is assigned.For example, doctoral studies in the field of Romanic Philology require proven knowledge of Latin and another Romanic language. More information on Romanic language proficiency can be found here.


Department of Philosophy and Humanities
Dahlem Research School
Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft
logo einstein grau