How to study philosophy at FU Berlin coming from abroad?
The Department of Philosophy at FU Berlin considers itself as open to the world and pluralistic. We invite students from all over the world to study philosophy with us. Students from abroad can choose between multiple options to study philosophy at FU Berlin. One possibilty is to apply for the regular program with the aim of a degree as Bachelor or Master of Arts. In this case you will study as a degree-seeking student and become a member of FU Berlin. The application is to be done with the Freie Universität Berlin Student Administration Office, not with us as the Department of Philosophy. Sufficient language skills are essential. More information about how to become a degree-seeking student will be found here.
Furthermore, there are several opportunities to spend one or two semester at our department as a non-degree-seeking student. In this case your academic performance will be recognized at your home university as part of your regular degree programm. There a several ways in order to do so, from direct exchange with our numerous partner instituitions to mobility with DAAD, Fulbright, and Other Programs. A low-threshold way to FU Berlin is through Erasmus+. The following informations are mostly but not exclusively dedicated to Eramus+ students.
- The idea the guides us at our department is an active and controversial group discussion for in the seminars. Lectures are meant rather to provide an overview of the respective subject for beginning students. Prepare yourself to engage in the discussion.
- Your academic performance will be graduated according to the European Credit Transfer Systems (ECTS)
- For graduation we expect the same workload as we do from degree-seeking-students. The extent of examination and thereby the numbers of gained ECTS vary with the respective academic level.
- Your performance will be graduated in a modularised manner. One modul always consists in two courses. The specific requirements of the courses are to be found in the descriptions of the modules. As a general rule, only modules and no single courses can be evaluated. In both courses of each module participants will be expected to paticipate activly, which means one is to give a presentation or other forms of contribution to the discussion during the semester. Only in one of the two there will be an examination in form of an essay or oral exam.
- The Numbers of ECTS points vary in accordance to the academic level. In basic BA modules ("Basisbereich des BA") there are 5 points rewarded, in advanced BA modules ("Aufbaubereich des BA") 10 and with Master modules 15 points. You need to know how many ECTS points you should have in the end of your stay. The same holds for the form of examination. Your sending institution's regulation determine their recognition of your academic performance.
- All incoming students, including Erasmus+ students, select their courses as part of their modules taken with Campus Management. It highly advised to keep your records on Campus Management as close to reality as possible.
- If you track your academic records via paper forms ("Papierschein") draw a copy of them and hand this copy in. Keep the original.
- All Non-degree-seeking students enjoy the full right to participate even in overbooked courses. There are no privileges for degree-seeking-students in this regard.
- It is possible to take courses outside the department at other FU's departments or at other universities at Berlin, namely UdK, HU and TU.
- The Learning Agreements are to be sent to Barbara Baldacci to have them duly signed. Electronical processing via PDF is to be prefered.
- In order to have your concluding Transcript of Records (ToR) issued make use of Campus Management. There is no automatic process. So you have to request it by the end of your stay by handing in this form. If your account is not activated anymore after finishing your stay, please contact the International Office, Section Incoming Mobility.
- The teaching staff is asked to evaluate the academic performances in a timely manner in order to allow the recognition of the ECTS points at the sending instituiton in time. If you need your ToR in time please indiciate the time pressure at an early stage.