Dr. Kristin Flade
Kristin Flade, born in 1983, studied Theatre and Film Studies at Freie Universität Berlin and at Tel Aviv University. She graduated with an M.A. in Theatre Studies from the Freie Universität Berlin in 2011; her thesis was titled "Just Life and Letters. Writing about Public Performances of Self and Other in Israel and Palestine." Her research is often concerned with the political and ethical implications of self and other in public spaces and in the visual and performing arts. Together with former fellow students Sascha Förster and Rafael Ugarte Chacón, Kristin co-edited "Paradiesische Zustände. Studentisches Denken: Marginalie an der Universität?" (2010), the result of two interdisciplinary student conferences that she initiated in Berlin. She authors the visual-textual archive recording-ghosts.blogspot.com.
Kristin Flade’s contributions to the blog.
- Flade, Kristin. The Good Pain? Applied Theatre and Social Circus in Palestine Today. Vienna: Passagen, 2018 (forthcoming in autumn 2018).
- Flade, Kristin, Warstat, Matthias, Evers, Florian, Lempa, Fabian and Seuberling, Lilian, editors. Applied Theatre - Rahmen und Positionen. Berlin: Theater der Zeit, 2017.
- Flade, Kristin. "Visual Occupations: Violence and Visibility in a Conflict Zone" Review of Visual Occupations: Violence and Visibility in a Conflict Zone by Gil Hochberg. Durham: Duke University Press, 2015. Review accessible on Invisible Culture Reviews https://ivc.lib.rochester.edu/visual-occupations/.
- Flade, Kristin. "Perspektiven der politischen Ästhetik" Review of Perspektiven der politischen Ästhetik, edited by Oliver Kohns, Paderborn, 2016, Review accessible on http://www.theaterforschung.de/rezension.php4?ID=2485
- Flade, Kristin. "Resisting Dispossession: Affective Alliances Labouring for Justice" in Performance Research, Vol. 21, Issue 3, On Dialectics, 2016, pp. 124 - 126. Accessible on http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/13528165.2016.1176747.
- Flade, Kristin. "Once Upon a Time in Palestine ... Archives, Lived and Shared" in Memory and Theatre. Performing the Archive, edited by Khalid Amine and Jaouad Radouani. Tetouan, 2015. pp. 129 - 138.
- Flade, Kristin. "Das Mittel der Mauer. Vom Entsenden widerständiger Botschaften" in Theater als Intervention. Politiken ästhetischer Praxis, Matthias Warstat, Julius Heinicke, Joy Kristin Kalu, Janina Möbius and Natascha Siouzouli. Berlin: Theater der Zeit, 2015. S. 92 – 98.
- Flade, Kristin. "Anthropology, Theatre and Development: The Transformative Potential of Performance" Review of Anthropology, Theatre and Development: The Transformative Potential of Performance, edited by Jonas Tinius and Alex Flynn. Houndmills, Basingstoke, Hampshire: Palgrave Macmillan Ltd., 2015, Review accessible on http://www.theaterforschung.de/rezension.php4?ID=2241.
- Flade, Kristin. "Traces of Operation Desert Storm: Aesthetic Transformations of War.“ In Intermediality, Performance and the Public Sphere, edited by Khalid Amine and George F Robertson. Denver, Amherst, Tangier, 2014. pp. 199 – 205.
- Flade, Kristin. "Feeling Cold at Home." In the Glasshouse. In Retrospective, edited by Lital Dotan and Eyal Perry, 146-151. Tel Aviv: the Glasshouse, 2011.
- Flade, Kristin, Förster, Sascha und Ugarte Chacón, Rafael, ed Paradiese am Rand. Studentisches Denken. Marginalie an der Universität? Siegsdorf: Kleine Verlag, 2010.
- Flade, Kristin. "sui_site or how to disappear completely. Notizen zu einer Installation." In Paradiese am Rand. Studentisches Denken. Marginalie an der Universität?, edited by Kristin Flade, Sascha Förster and Rafael Ugarte Chacón, 64-77. Siegsdorf: Kleine Verlag, 2010.
- Flade, Kristin. "I am Closer to Severus Snape than I am to myself." In Paradiese am Rand. Studentisches Denken. Marginalie an der Universität?, edited by Kristin Flade, Sascha Förster and Rafael Ugarte Chacón, 95-104. Siegsdorf: Kleine Verlag, 2010.
- "The Freedom Ride: ‘Mobile Cultural Resistance’ and Unresolved Frictions", Presentation together with Irene Fernández Ramos during "Performing Tangier. Theatre Forms in Motion. Zones of Contact and Friction", Tangier/Tétouan, Morocco, November 25, 2017.
- Presentation together with Christoph Bangert in lecture series "Politisches, Eigenes, Fremdes. Politische Kunst und ihre Wissenschaften", JGU Mainz, November 14, 2017.
- "Writing Palestine: (Notes) Towards an Ethnography of Political Performance", Presentation together with Rayya El Zein, Berlin, January 12, 2017.
- Book presentation of "How to Collaborate? Questioning Togetherness in the Performing Arts" in conversation with Janez Janša, Berlin Uferstudios, December 20, 2016.
- "This is not about critique ... Would you like to be part of it?" - Lecture Performance during the 13th Congress of GTW "Theater als Kritik", Frankfurt/Gießen, November 3-6, 2016.
- "Physicality and Performativity of Bordering Processes" – Impulse statement, joint workshop with Khaled Jarrar, and participant of the closing panel discussion on "Border Effects" during Tanzkongress "Zeitgenoss*in sein", Hanover, June 16-19, 2016. www.tanzkongress.de
- "Mobilising Solidarities and Civic Engagement Here and There – Thoughts on Being Part of The Freedom Ride in Palestine" - Presentation at the artistic-theoretical conference "Action Art - The Role of Artists and Art Strategies in Civic Empowerment and Transformation Processes", Switzerland, Zurich, FOA FLUX, Zürcher Hochschule der Künste, March 4-5, 2016.
- "Turned and Turned Alone Again." - Performance Lecture presented at the artistic-theoretical conference "Bodies of Evidence", Sweden, Stockholm, January 14-17, 2016.
- "To Dislocate the Skies: Sending Messages of Resistance.“ - Paper presented at the 7th International Conference of Critical Geography "Precarious Radicalism on Shifting Grounds: Towards a Politics of Possibility“, Palestine, July 26-30, 2015.
- "Counter|Publics of Engaged Performance|Research: Challenging Boundaries of Political Intervention and Intent.“ - Paper presented at the annual IFTR/FIRT conference "Theatre and Democracy. Unpacking Theatre Scholarship and Practice“, Hyderabad, India, July 6-10, 2015.
- "Check. Point. Ein Stationendrama mit vielen Gewinnern.“ - Paper presented at conference "Playing Involuntarily – Shaping Subjectivity in a Theatrical Society “, Berlin, Germany, July 3-4, 2015.
- “Once Upon a Time in Palestine ... Archives Lived and Shared” Paper presented at the conference „Memory and Theatre: Performing the Archive. Performing Tangier 2015", Tangier/Tétouan, Morocco, May 1-5, 2015.
- Research presentation and participant "Mellon School for Theater and Performance Research: 2014 Session - Locations of Theater", Harvard University, Cambridge, MA, June 2014.
- “Green Lines of Engagement. Nomadic Figurations and Dialogical Thinking in Francis Alys’ Green Line.” Paper presented with Jana J. Haeckel at "Theatre and the Nomadic Subject. A Mobile Train Conference", Helsinki to Rovaniemi, Finland, 7-11 April 2014.
- "The Good Pain – Artistic Practice in Conflict Zones.“ Paper presented at the annual IFTR/FIRT conference "Re-Routing Performance“, Barcelona, Spain, July 22-26, 2013.
- “Traces of Operation Desert Storm. Aesthetic Transformations of War.” Paper presented at the conference „Performance in/and the Public Sphere. Performing Tangier 2013", Tangier/Tétouan, Morocco, June 1-4, 2013.
- Kristin Flade, theatre studies, film studies, Berlin, Tel Aviv, self, other, Israel, Palestine, Marina Abramović, Moshe Zuckermann