FSGS has, together with the Graduate School of East Asian Studies (GEAS), an exchange agreement with the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences / The College of Arts and Sciences and the Graduate School of Humanities and Sociology / Faculty of Letters at University of Tokyo. Each year 5 positions are available.
Due to living and rental costs, the stay in Tokyo is relatively expensive. Information about scholarships for students with knowledge of Japanese as well as for students regardless of their knowledge of Japanese (EPINEL program) can be found on the direct exchange website of FU Berlin. Should you receive one of these scholarships, please inform the office at FSGS.
Would you like to spend one or two semesters abroad at University of Tokyo? Then:
- inform our office about the duration of your planned visit.
- put together an application (English) that contains the following: letter of motivation, outline of the dissertation project, CV. Send your application via email (PDF) to our office.
- ask your supervisor team for a short vote regarding your visit abroad via email to our office.
- check the VISA requirements for Japan. Make sure you have a valid passport for your planned visit. Send a copy of the first two pages of your passport via email (PDF) to our office. You will receive an invitational letter from University of Tokyo through our office that you will need in order to apply for the visa.
- inquire with your health insurance whether you will be insured during your stay in Japan.
- find out about accommodation options near University of Tokyo.
Support for planning and realizing your visit abroad can be found through the DAAD Regional Office in Tokyo.
Since 2015, the FSGS has an Einstein Visiting Fellow from University of Tokyo who is in Berlin on a regular basis. We would be happy to get you in touch so that you can make the most of your visit abroad.