Study abroad at University of Chicago
FSGS has an exchange agreement with the Department of Germanic Studies and the Department of Comparative Literature at University of Chicago. Each year two positions are available. The visit takes place in the spring, and it is relatively expensive due to travel and lodging costs. However, everyone who has taken advantage of this visit has given very positive feedback. Get in touch with our office and we will send you the report collection (PDF).Would you like to spend the spring of the following year at University of Chicago? Then:
- inform our office by April 30.
- put together an application (German / English) that contains the following: letter of motivation, outline of the dissertation project, CV. Send your application via email (PDF) to our office.
- ask your supervisor team for a short vote regarding your visit abroad via email to our office.
- check the VISA requirements for the USA. Make sure you have a valid passport for your planned visit. Send a copy of the first two pages of your passport via email (PDF) to our office by September 30 at the latest. At the end of the year you’ll receive an invitational letter from University of Chicago through our office that you will need in order to apply for the visa.
- inquire with your health insurance whether you will be insured during your stay in the USA. The department in Chicago will insure you free of charge, but the benefits aren’t comprehensive. You can find many tips about this in our internal experience report.
- find out about accommodation options near University of Chicago. For this, too, the report collection will have many helpful tips.