To prove proficiency in German, the following certificates are deemed equivalent to DSH 2 (German language exam for university admission):
- TestDaF(TDN 4 in all four partial tests)
- Goethe-Zertifikat C1 or C2 ("Großes Deutsches Sprachdiplom”) from the Goethe-Institute
- German Sprachdiplom II from the conference of ministers of education (DSD II)
- Successful graduation in a German language studies program at a German university
- School-leaving qualification that is equivalent to a German university entrance qualification
To prove proficiency in English, the following are deemed equivalent to level B 2 GER:
- seven years of English class in school
- IELTS 5.0
- Cambridge Examinations: First Certificate (FCE); Advanced (CAE); Proficiency (CPE)
- TOEFL: Papier 500, Computer 170 or Internet 80
Please note the requirements for the field in which you wish to do your doctoral studies, which is generally the one to which your first advisor is assigned.
For example, doctoral studies in the field of Romanic Philology require proven knowledge of Latin and another Romanic language. More information on Romanic language proficiency can be found here.