Following are a few tips for your successful application:
- First of all, please register at the online portal of the Dahlem Research School, which opens on November 05, 2018. There you will have to indicate your future affiliation as FU Berlin, after which you can choose to apply at the FSGS. After successful registration, a little flag will appear at the top left corner. When you click this, your application to the FSGS will open. You can view your application at any time. All input is automatically saved.
- Please fill out the personal information page first. It is part of the applicant file and not identical to the registration. The other pages can only be edited once this page is fully completed.
- Please choose your initial advisor from the circle of members at the Friedrich Schlegel Graduate School. This choice is not final. You don’t need a confirmation from the advisor at this point, but it can be helpful to initiate contact with him or her in advance.
- For project scholarship and DAAD grant applicants: your reviewer will receive an email with information on how to upload the letter of recommendation as soon as you have completed and saved the relevant page. Ideally, you’d let your reviewers know in advance so that they are aware of the upcoming system-generated email. If your reviewers should have any problems with this, they may send their signed recommendation letter via snail mail, or send it to us as a PDF.
- The advisor teams in a structured doctoral studies program can consist of up to 3 members. Apart from the initial advisor, certified professors may be added who are not members of this school. However, these should be affiliated with one of the universities in Berlin or Brandenburg in order to guarantee continuous support (participation in the candidate’s colloquium lectures, annual team discussion).
- Please do not upload any homework assignments as work samples. An excerpt from your thesis or from a publication is required.
- If you received your university degree at a foreign university we will check through ANABIN whether your university is approved in Germany.
- If you don’t have your university degree certificate at the time of your application, you can still apply if you can submit the certificate by August 01. In this case please upload other significant documents regarding your expected certificate (transcripts, evaluation of your professors, etc.)
- Language certificates may be handed in later. Please include an explanation regarding existing and pending certificates with your application as well as when the certificates can be submitted. Sufficient basic knowledge, however, is required.